Making new friends can be hard
Sometimes making friends just happens without even trying. Other times, it takes a little time. You might look for a friend who:
- Is like you: Often friends like the same things, such as sports and games, books, crafts, hobbies
- Is different to you: Finding someone who does things you don’t know much about can be cool too. You can teach each other new things, and that can be fun!
To make new friends, act like a friend
- Take interest in what other kids are doing
- Be kind and friendly
- Ask them what they like to do – maybe you can do it together
- Smile – to show you are friendly and want to join in
- Say something nice
- Ask them questions – Get to know them better. Try: “What did you do in the weekend?”, “Do you have any pets?”, “Do you have any brothers and sisters?”, “What’s your favourite movie or TV show?”, “What sports do you like to play?”
It can be hard to make friends and meet new people, especially if you’re a bit shy, but don’t give up!
Give us a call at 0800 What’s Up – we’re here to help!