Everyone feels sad sometimes – it’s normal.
You’re not alone – lots of kids know what it’s like to feel sad. It won’t last forever – you will feel happy again.
Why do I feel sad?
You might feel sad for lots of reasons:
- feeling lonely
- other kids at school being mean to you
- your family moving to a new place
- mum, dad or the people who look after you fight too much
- someone hurting you, or hurting someone you love
- someone you love died or gone away
- grown-ups asking you to do things that are too hard for you
- someone at home is sick, drinking too much, or using drugs
Maybe you don’t know why you feel sad. That’s normal too.
How can I feel better?
There are lots of people who want to help you feel better.
- Tell a grown-up: Talk to someone in your whānau, or at your school.
- Tell a friend: Hanging out with friends can take your mind off feeling sad.
- Animals can help: Spending time with your cat or dog can help you feel better – pat them, cuddle them or play with them.
- Think happy thoughts: Remind yourself about things you like doing and stuff that makes you laugh.
Call us at 0800 What’s Up – we’re here to help.